Wednesday, May 9, 2007

7-11 Steals My Money

Really. They did.

I stop by the local (and I mean local, it's literally right across the street) 7-11 to pump some gas, maybe grab a bite and if they have a spare roll of quarters buy one so I can do my laundry. I've been up since 6 this morning for jury duty and 6 AM is something that I simply do not do...

Ah, screw it. Here is the actual email I sent to 7-11 regarding my visit:

Hello,

I arrived at the aforementioned store to put some gas in my truck and maybe grab something to eat. I walked in to pre-pay and make whatever selections I was going to. When I got to the counter, the gentleman at the register was VERY limited in his communication, but he rang up my purchases including my $15 of gas that I was about to pump and all was well. As I walked out to the pump I remembered that I wanted to ask if there were any spare rolls of quarters available that I might purchase with the $10 bill in my wallet so that I might get my laundry done.


Walking back inside, the registers of both the gentleman and his co-worker were busy, with 3-4 person lines at each. I waited for one of the lines to clear up and asked the man if he had any rolls of quarters. This seemed to be beyond the man's understanding of English, so I asked the Asian woman working with him. She immediately started to complain about my request but seemed to be opening a drawer to get me a roll. I told her if it was a problem for her I could get the roll somewhere else, no big deal. There are plenty of places for me to go in this area. She continued to bitch me out over quarters, saying (from what I could gather) that in the future she could do a dollar or two, but to go to the bank if I wanted a whole roll. As if at this point I wanted to ever come back to this 7-11 and ask for change again. I told her never mind, I would go get them somewhere else and thanks anyway.


I once again headed outside to pump my gas and be on my way, but the pump seems to not have registered my payment. I trekked BACK inside and, showing my receipt asked that the pump be turned on.


The Asian woman jumped down my throat yelling something about(after having heard it about a dozen times) "too long" and "read receipt". I cannot write out phonetically how "read receipt" sounded, but I can tell you I heard it early and often. Apparently, there is a time limit on pre-paid pump usage, and our joyful discussion of quarters took up all of it.


I noted that I came back inside, waited in line instead of being a dick, asked politely about the quarters and then let her off the hook for them, understanding how it can be a pain in the ass (I work retail myself).


"Read receipt"


Ok, but the struggle to have any conversation with you led to this whole thing taking longer than needed.


"Read receipt!"


You can hit a button right now and everyone walks away relatively happy.


"Read receipt!"


I will admit at this point asking in a less than friendly manner for my money back. Not all of it, just the $15 I had now spent on what used to be the gas that now WASN'T in my truck.


You can guess what response that got.


I drove from this 7-11 to an Exxon up the road, spent ANOTHER $20 (thankfully actually receiving gas this time) and then hit a grocery store on the way back for the quarters.


Now, I am not proud of having lost my temper. I am not proud of some of the language I used (the totality of which was limited to "Then give me my fucking money back" and "Fuck this, keep your receipt"). But you have no idea how poor this 7-11 location is. How poor the service is and has always been, how there is NO alcohol on sale at all here. How long waits can be at the counter while employees chat up their friends while ringing up obscene amounts of lottery tickets or just go about doing whatever it is they happen to be doing around the store at the time.


This location only stays open because of its location. It is convenient to too many people in this area NOT to make money, not matter WHO is working there. I don't need my 7-11 people to be fluent, I don't need to have conversations with them. I just need to be able to say a polite hello, get on with my business and expect reasonable customer service.

I mentioned before I work in retail. I deal with customers every day, some of whom are rude, aggressive, condescending and just plain stupid. I have never treated a customer request in the manner that this woman did with me today. All she had to say was "I can't, sorry". That's all. Instead I'm out $15 ($35 if you count the gas I actually ended up with at the Exxon).

As a long-time consumer at your various locations I am BEGGING you to get rid of every single human being who works at location
(7-11 across the street) and make it a pleasant experience for our community for once. I'd also like my $15, but I threw the receipt on the counter on my way out so I'm under no delusions there. Also, if you could bring back the banana Slurpee that would rock, as that was the tastiest of all the Slurpees.

Thank you and please consider firing everyone at location
(7-11 across the street).

Then I signed my name.

Really, though. I got robbed by a tiny middle-aged Asian woman. Are you kidding me? This is what I did my civic duty as a juror for? Fuck that. That was some unnecessary bullshit right fucking there. I felt like Michael Douglas in Falling Down; you know, when he gets to McDonalds 5 minutes late for breakfast and they have egg mcmuffins right there and they won't let him order one? Yeah, kinda like that.

Esurance girl tomorrow. I'm not in the mood anymore.

8 comments:

Carrie M said...

I can't believe you walked away! That is insane. INSANE. And I would have had the freaking CEO of 7-11 come into that store before I left without my money. You are a kind man.

Carrie M said...

btw, your experience was insane, not you or walking away.

Bergle said...

Well, the Gergle had called in the middle of this because she needed directions, so I was just trying to get back home. I figured there was no point arguing with this woman who really couldn't or wouldn't talk so I just said screw it and got it done somewhere else.

Bergle said...

So yeah, that whole thing sucked. But what can you do? I've written in, and haven't heard back but if I don't hear anything today I'm calling tomorrow. This is not over. Not by a long shot.

sunchaser said...

Hmmm.. did you really say: "As a long-time consumer at your various locations I am BEGGING you to get rid of every single human being who works at location (7-11 across the street) and make it a pleasant experience for our community for once" in your letter?

If so, I'm not sure you'll get the $15 back. I've researched the art of writing complaint letters and actually have gotten money back from some that I wrote (to a bank, no less!), and I think it's usually best to be as benign as possible (if you really wanted your money back, that is).

Of course, if you just wanted to kvetch that's another thing (and obviously, you had every right to do so after that fun experience). And your post reminds me why I'm glad I now live where things are less frenetic - the difference in customer service really is palpable.

Carrie M said...

let's blame it on Jo! (sorry Jo ;-))

See, I'm the kind of asshole that will make a scene over something like that. I was in a looong line at one of Target's two open registers and I had a bag of dog food and some other small item to check out with. This express register opens up and a woman calls to some dude with a set of poker chicks to purchase. Well I jump out of line and said that I was next and he and I proceeded to argue, his main argument being "She called me over here" and my main response is, "what are you, in 3rd grade?" People were watching. The prick got to go first, for which the cashier apologized for (but didn't tell him to wait), and then as he was walking away he muttered, "Bite me" to me. What did I do? I said in my normal voice, so many could hear,

"You wish! There's nothing there to bite, jackass."

End scene.

Bergle said...

Chaser: Yeah, I don't really think any good will come of any of my complaining (hence asking for the return of my beloved banana slurpee), I just really felt the need to cut loose (again) after having gone through that.

Carrie: No, no, no, not blaming anything on Jo. I wasn't planning on the whole process taking more than 10 minutes anyway and saw nothing coming of trying to talk to the harpy behind the counter. So, fuck it. I threw my receipt at the counter and left.

Helen Skor said...

This reminds me of an experience I once had at Applebee's which I have tried to put out of my mind. But even now, four years later, whenever I drive past an Applebee's, I instictually raise my middle finger in salute. The good news is that my letter of complaint (which obviously was not the first for this particular location) resulted in the dismissal of the manager and $50 in gift certificates for me.

Oh, and by the way, regardless of what the receipt said, if you didn't get gas, you are entitled to a refund. You should write to the better business bureau or department of consumer affairs. That particular 7-Eleven really is ridiculous.